Saturday 15 March 2014

The Book Phantom

I need to update you on the Book Phantom.  If  you don't know who he is you can go here.

When I went camping a couple of weeks ago I released a couple of books up at Lake St Claire campground. I put them in the laundry room but I have not heard from anyone yet.

I thought I would share the books I release and where I put them.  In the next week or so I hope to release these three books.



A Short Walk from Harrods came from mate Brian.  He is an old guy in South Hobart who kindly gives me Penguin books from Op and Tip shop visits.  He is retired and he is fighting cancer and this gives him something to do. He has taken it upon himself to do this.  The problem is, although it is very kind he brings me anything published by Penguin. As he visits me about once every 6 weeks this adds up.  In return I try and find him Zane Grey books which he loves and also American DVD's on eBay of old movies he has written down. Mainly Humphrey Bogart and Boxing stories.

So both of us have our job cut out for us.  A Short Walk from Harrods by Dirk Bogarde is one of Brian's books.  I didn't read it because I don't have a lot of time and it isn't my priority at the time.  But it looks interesting and someone in a small country town may want it. So I will put it somewhere on my next bike ride to the country. Remember I have put my email address at the front of the book, a special one for this project,  www.BookPhantom at yahoo.com.au.  I'm hoping that people who find the books will write to me.

The book 5 Minutes A Day is a book I bought a few years ago when I had a case of clinical depression.  It was in response to my father's death and I just didn't cope very well. I missed him terribly.  But depression is treatable and after about 6 months to a year it sorted out and I'm happy again.  So far so good and it's been maybe 3 years?  But this was a fun little book of things to do when you aren't well.  Little snippets of wisdom about eating well, doing fun little exercises, walking, getting rid of negative people in  your life.  I looked through it but I have outgrown it now so it's going to the country. There are a lot of depressed people in the country on farms and such. Somebody may just benefit from it.

The last book being released into the wild is Ruth Ozeki's A Tale for the Time Being.  It is a modern novel and why should people who find books only get the old ones we don't want anymore. This is an interesting story whether you love it or hate it. We did it for our March book group discussion at Fuller's and the conversation around it became quite fascinating.  So it's going too.  I'll be back later with where they ended up.

Here's the map to Lake St Clair campground where I released the previous two Penguin books.


I camped at Lake St Clair for two nights with the motorbike and left the books there.

I'll let you know if I hear from anyone at my BookPhantom email.  Until then......happy reading.

I thought I would share with you how beautiful this spot is. 


8 comments:

  1. It's such a nice idea - I do hope someone makes contact: and perhaps it will encourage them to leave something for the next person too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do hear back! It's a great project, but it would be fun to know people are finding & reading the books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dirk Bogarde is one of his best...an amusing and also sad personal journey by the by then virtually retired 'Idol of the Odeons'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not familiar with his work. Unfortunately I have too much to read to get to it. That's why I thought I would rehome it.

      Delete
  4. I've have wanted to leave books in the airport but I saw a cleaning person dump one in the trash (not mine) one time, so I decided not to leave them there. J W

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki and Lisa: I hope they make contact too. It would be fun. Will be sure to let you know if they do.

    JW- If I saw that I'd have to dive into the waste basket and retrieve it and save it. That's ridiculous. Someone may have wanted it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Book Phantom plan. It's like Johnny Appleseed, planting seeds of reading all over. I hope some of the people who pick up the books will contact you. This should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not heard of Johnny Appleseed since I grew up in Michigan years ago (that apple state). Thanks for the good memory. It made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. I promise to try very hard to reply to any message left.