Sunday 23 February 2014

Books, Theatre, Motorbikes and Beach

This has been what I would call a busy week. Busier than I'd like really but that's how it goes. I already mentioned Monday night we saw John Cleese at the Theatre Royal. Great Show.

Then on Wednesday we went to the Playhouse Theatre and sat through Blitz- A Sentimental Journey. It takes place during World War II in London. We were being bombed and listening to air raids while trying to watch the musical of 1940's songs. It was very entertaining with the lead female singer and her male piano player with a very simple 40s set and excellent voices.

Blitz- A Sentimental Journey
Thursday I went to a book launch at Fuller's Book Shop and swanned around with the locals. The book was an interesting local history relating to the Cascade Brewery, the Theatre Royal and Mt. Wellington. Very interesting talk about two men named de Graves and MacIntosh.  It seems MacIntosh did amazing things from his base in India, England and Tasmania but de Graves who was around at the same time and died 20 years later in the 1850's took all the credit. The author, doing research on something else discovered this misfortune to MacIntosh and changed his direction to write the book.  A really fascinating piece of local history.


Friday night we managed a night in where I worked on the book Tale Of A Time Being by Ruth Ozeki. I'm to have it read for our March Book Club. I finally finished that today on Sunday and I plan on putting up the review in the next couple of days.

Saturday night saw us on our Twilight Motorbike ride for the week and after 100km circle of Hobart we all had something to eat at our favourite cafe in Sorell.

My bike is the red one, second from the front. Kept up with the big ones just fine.

A Sunday afternoon at the beach with the dogs because the weather was so brilliant and home again.

The dogs so love an afternoon with all the other dogs at the beach
Temps were 26 C  or 82 F

I plan on starting my Spin Club book this evening which is a vintage Penguin book, The Happy Return by C.S. Forester.

Tomorrow I return to the library the book Jar City, an Icelandic mystery. I don't think it is a bad book, I just wasn't in the mood for it.

Tomorrow I also pick up the ingredients for the Recipe of the Month on the calendar.  I'll keep that under wraps until the first of March when I post it.


But before I sign off here is the weekly Sunday - Animals with Books.
I hope you enjoy it.





I'm hoping next week is quieter because I'm really in a reading mood and there are a few things I'd like to get stuck into.

How did your week go? Any plans for this week?


2 comments:

  1. That's quite a full week! The pictures of the dogs on the beach makes me long for summer. Cabin fever seems to have set in here. Very dark, dreary... blah.

    I'll be looking forward to your review of A Tale for the Time Being. Maybe it will nudge me to pull it down from the shelf. Have a good week, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like you've been busy! The pictures are gorgeous. We've finally had a taste of spring weather, but it's not quite time for the beach yet.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. I promise to try very hard to reply to any message left.